Thursday, May 29, 2008

Jane Addams

I don't think that there are any religious/spiritual connection with the social work undertaken by Jane Addams. I also don't think that she was religiously motivated into the social work that she undertook. One of the reasons as to why she took up such work was because of the experience of her witnessing poverty. I don't see how witnessing people in poverty could be anything religious/spiritual at all. True there may be religious/spiritual reasons that would propel one to a certain place where they can then witness poverty but I don't think that the act itself of witnessing poverty is religious/spiritual. Therefore, just wanting to help others doesn't mean that you're religious or that it has to do with something religious; so, Jane Addams was not religiously motivated nor were there any religious/spiritual connections with the social work that she undertook.
On the other hand, though, I understand that her choice to do good for other less fortunate people could be a religious thing. The whole idea of giving for certain religions as well as being kinder to them than you are to yourself could very well be exactly what Jane Addams is following when she helps those in poverty. However, I don't think that being good is necessarily a religious thing. I feel that I don't really have a religious feeling about so naturally many things that I do wouldn't be religious nor would I have been religiously motivated into doing them. I view myself as a pretty nice and helpful guy so I am doing good and helping others without a religious purpose nor a religious motivation. Therefore, just because Jane Addams was doing nice things by helping out those in poverty, it doesn't mean that she had a religious purpose nor a religious motivation. Also, then, there would be no religious/spiritual connection with the social work that she undertook.

No comments: